Stay safe by controlling what you can. Like seatbelts! Make sure everyone has one (and uses it). Here are simple ways to stay safe:
I'm a passenger:
- Put your luggage in the boot, not on the rear window shelf.
- If you’re travelling with young ones, check these rules to see if you need a child seat. It’s your responsibility, don’t assume the driver will have one.
- Talk by all means, but don’t distract the driver.
I'm a driver:
- Don’t use your phone! Your passengers can set up the sat nav, you can take calls hands-free.
- Take a break every two hours.
- Travelling at night? Make sure you rest and take a nap before travelling.
- Make sure your vehicle is insured and has a valid MOT.
- Check your tyre pressure, oil, water, brakes, headlights, window wipers.
- Respect all traffic laws.